Right now, Iraq is poised to break the cycle of violence that has spun within its borders for decades. To capitalize on this moment, the Education for Peace in Iraq Center cannot and will not stop in our efforts to lend support.
For nearly 20 years, you have stood by us as we rallied against crippling economic sanctions on Iraq in the 1990s, raised our voices to question the rush to war in 2003, and pressed the Obama and Trump administrations to protect civilians, provide humanitarian relief, and commit to strengthening civil society. At this critical moment for Iraq, we need you to continue to stand with us.
Here are a few highlights of what your support made possible in 2017. This year, EPIC:
- Helped restore the provision of emergency healthcare in western Mosul by purchasing medical equipment and medicine for an Emergency Room at the al-Mamoun Primary Healthcare Center;
- Raised awareness about humanitarian needs throughout Iraq, the state of the country’s healthcare and mental healthcare systems, the needs of farmers and the environment, the importance of peace and reconciliation, and other topics – and published this content in The Hill, USA Today, BBC, Le Monde, and other outlets;
- Launched the Connection Initiative in partnership with Professionals for a Better Iraq and funding from the National Endowment for Democracy that links Iraqi-American volunteers with civil society organizations in Iraq who need capacity building skills and support;
- Spoke out loudly against President Trump’s misguided executive order aimed at banning Muslims and refugees from entering the United States;
- Produced five episodes of our IRAQ MATTERS Podcast with discussions on Iraqi literature and poetry, conditions facing women and minorities, the refugee vetting process, and the future of Iraqi Kurdistan;
- Closely monitored and reported on key developments in Iraq through our weekly Iraq Security and Humanitarian Monitor; and
- Since 2014, delivered emergency humanitarian assistance to more than 60,000 Iraqis forced to flee their homes because of violence.
The young people and civil society leaders that we meet through our work inspire us each and every day and motivate our commitment to sustained peace. Thank you for being a part of our community and for considering a year-end gift in support of our mission.
From all of us here at EPIC, we wish you a safe and happy holiday season.